Monday, February 14, 2011

Elimination Diet while away from home

Hey
Yes I'm still alive, sorry I haven't updated this, never had good internet service, while I was away on a training course last week.
While away, I came across a problem or problems that you will no doubted come across as soon as you leave the familiarity of your home and local shops.
You get so used to knowing what shops are best for your healthy choices, and which ones to avoid.
So once you remove yourself from those surroundings, you may well come across some of these problems.

Firstly the actual travel to your destination, I have spoken about this before, and I had exactly the same approach this time, eat before I leave the house (I am a genius, I know) then when you get to airport or wherever your traveling from, you won't be tempted by the usually not very good food choices at these places.

If your travelling by car, take some pre prepared food with you, again to help you, from making bad choices at service stations etc.

Once I got to my hotel, I thought it would be easy, little did I know how bad (and expensive) the menu there was going to be.
Firstly breakfast, which if I did go to, I'd have the choices, of not very nice looking fruit, which probably won't be organic, scrambled eggs, probably made with dairy, baked beans (processed), bacon, sausages etc all of which have been sitting under those heaters for god knows how long !!

Now if I'd just been staying one night, I might of put up with the fruit and maybe the scrambled eggs (not in first 30 days though).
As for the dinner menu, that never had much )true) healthy options on it.
Because I was staying for a week, I really needed another option, especially as I would be training hard, so would really need the energy and recovery properties of good food choices.

The hotel was luckily enough situated a 5 minute walk away from a giant supermarket, so every night I would head down there, stock up on my, near enough, completely organic fruit, vegetables and usually some fish option.
Head back to the hotel and stock it up in my minibar fridge, this not only took care of dinner, but breakfast as well and saved me a shed load of money, triple bonus :-)
I can only imagine what the hotel cleaner thought of this

So even when your away from home, with a little bit of initiative you can stick to your Elimination Diet challenge, as I was finished the first 30 days, I didn't need to be strict, but I would say I was 90% ED compliant for the week.

Looking forward to continuing my journey and will be stepping up my training too now, so I'm looking forward to even greater results, watch this space.


Craig :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment